Brent’s experience in various aspects of law includes:
Oil & Gas
- Prepared onshore applications for technical co-operation permits in terms of section 76 of the Mineral and Petroleum Resources Development Act, 2002 for a South African based IOC.
- Assisted ASX listed IOC, in preparing exploration right applications for onshore and offshore acreage in South Africa. This entailed technical co-operation permit conversions to exploration rights. Prepared applications for the transfer and of exploration rights in terms of section 11 of the Mineral and Petroleum Resources Development Act, 2002 for an ASX listed IOC, which included the renewals thereof.
- Assisting with due diligence investigation and report on status of petroleum exploration rights offshore South Africa, in a joint mandate with Watson Farley & Williams, in respect of a corporate acquisition.
- Assisting with a due diligence investigation and report on onshore and offshore petroleum licences in Namibia for an IOC. This included conducting review of various petroleum agreements, advising and preparing first drafts of Multi-Client Services Agreements concluded with multi-national oil service companies, review and advising on Joint Operating Agreements, drafting Confidentiality Agreements governing the review of data for prospective farm-in transaction.
- Assisted NOC’s in its dilution and the transfer and assignment of a 54% participating interest in the Kudu gas -to -power development project.
- Drafting and registering of the Deed of Renewal and Deed of Amendment for South Africa’s NOC in respect of Block 9/11A.
- Assistant to the lead Legal Advisor in preparing the pre-requisite documents for the transfer and assignment of Tullow Kudu Limited participating interest in the Kudu Development Project and transfer of operatorship to the NOC, this included the reviewing, preparation and drafting the drafting of Notarial Deeds of Assignment and Novation;
- Conducting due diligence audits on the NOC’s Exploration and Production Petroleum Agreements and Petroleum Licences;
- Drafting and negotiating Multiclient, Revenue Sharing and Brokerage Agreements with Spectrum Geo Limited; Schlumberger, Fugro; ERCL, CGG Services (UK) Limited, WesternGeco Seismic Holdings Limited and EMGS.
- Drafting and negotiating various Farm-Out Agreements, Deeds of Assignment to Petroleum Agreement and JOA, Deed of Amendment to JOA, obtaining Ministerial consents and approvals.
- Assisted in the drafting and negotiating of commercially accepted carry terms for the NOC for over 20 petroleum exploration licenses in Joint Operating Agreements and Participating Agreements and negotiating the commercial terms of the NOC carry with JV partners with IOC’s.
- Winner of the 2014 Legal Advisor of Year Award by African Investor based on the novel, unprecedented and financially innovative carry interest terms offered by a national oil company participation in its own jurisdiction
Corporate & Commercial
- Assisted with advisory opinions to IOC’s seeking corporate structuring and re-structuring advice.
- Drafting NDA’s for an IOC raising funding for its gas development operations.
- Advised and assisted a non-profit organisation with the drafting of a sponsorship agreement and the development and drafting of a commercially acceptable constitution and further assisted with an application for registration as a non-profit organisation with the Department of Social Development.
- Advising on potential director liability for alleged breach of fiduciary duties.
- Setting up and registering a business on Companies and Intellectual Property Commission “(CIPC”).
- Advising GovChat in relation to operating, funding and tendering procedures.
- Specialises in the removal of directors in terms of the Companies Act 2008.
- Managed all aspects relating to corporate governance and compliance with regulatory authorities.
- Drafting of commercial related agreements which include: Shareholders Agreements, Commercial Lease Agreements and Commercial Sale Agreements.
- Lead Legal advisor to a major asphalt supplier in South Africa.
- Assisted clients with the registration and transfer of private and commercial properties.
- Registration and cancellation of notarial deeds of servitudes and long term lease agreements for a major international fuel company.
- Africa Investor (Ai) Infrastructure Investment Awards part of the team awarded the 2014 Legal Advisor of Year Award.
- Featured Cover and Article – Energy Decisions 2017.
We’re located in the heart of Bellville
26 Hofmeyr Street
Why not give us a call or send us an email
Tel: +27 21 945 1237
Fax: +27 86 691 4998